I previously had a plastic grill and I stuck Velcro strips onto each side of it to slap a wash cloth on it to keep the draft out. That was a mistake! Cleaning grease from Velcro is a chore. So I ordered this metal grill with the intention to make a cover using magnets.
Today I made an insulated grill "cover upper". The grill opening is about the size of a dinner plate, so I used a plate for my pattern, cutting out some left over sheet foaming material. Not quite 1/2" thick and very lightweight. I gathered up some sheet magnets that were old advertising cards to cut and glue onto the the foam. I bought a set of dish linens and reserved one to make a "pillow case" for the foam insulator. The purpose of removing the fabric from the foam is for easy washing. This project was a quick and an easy one. Gluing the magnets to the foam took the longest.
|Plate as pattern, cut out foam "insulator"|
Cut to fit magnets (the more heavy duty the better, use any and many for a good hold)
|Glue the non magnet side to the foam.|
I placed the foam on a plate and stacked several over it to sandwich the weight.
|Added more weight: ceramic utensil holder worked.|
|The linen towel to use as fabric to cover the foam.|
I folded the towel in half, print side in, and centered the print within the circle of the dinner plate
|I drew my circular pattern.|
|Cut 1/2' larger for sewing space.|
Cut one side in half and stop at 1" toward the top. This is the cover opening.
|Fold over the fabric raw edges and sew at the opening.|
Then, sew the outside circumference all the way around. Then a second time, binding the raw edges.
|Turn right side out.|
Insert the foam inside the cover with the magnet side toward the opening.
|There you have it, ready to stick on the grill.|
I chose the circular pattern, but a square one would have worked, any thin fabric will do as long as the magnet strength can cling to the metal and go through it.
It looks better than a washcloth that I previously used. It's easier to clean. AND, it keeps the draft out.