Upcycled Wine Bottle Crate | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Upcycled Wine Bottle Crate

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Upcycled Wine Bottle Crate


January Project Challenge


Guess what? I've joined the 2016 monthly DIY blogger project challenge! It's super exciting! Each month we have a different project to create based on a named material theme. This month it's spindles/moulding/trim. 

I had some moulding left over from our kitchen project and a wooden wine crate from a thrift shop. My idea was to create a framed in chalkboard lid and turn the crate into a vintage or antique storage box.


The supplies I needed were: chalkboard contact paper, wood glue, stain, dark wax, and a rope handle. 


First to do, was miter cut the moulding to the size of the lid of the box. 


Setting those aside, I cut the chalkboard paper to fit on the lid and exposing 1/2 inch of the wood around the outside edges for gluing the wood trim on. 

Then, smoothed the chalkboard paper on. Glued the trim on with a small amount of glue on the exposed wood area on the lid. 

And, finally, added a cast iron griddle for weight until the glue dried. 


Once the glue dried, I stained the entire box inside and out. Then dark waxed all of the crevices and imperfections for an aged look. 


For the rope handle, I applied the dark wax to make it look old as well. 


By slipping the rope into holes, a handle is made by tying the ends into knots at the inside of the box to hold it in place. 






Hanging it on the wall makes a great memo board. 


And keeping pens and pencils inside is a nice way to stay organized. 




It has the antique look I was going for. 


Cute and functional! 



Now that this project is crossed off my list... I need to work on the others.  


But before that, let's have a cup of coffee and check out more of the project challenge from the rest of the group!





Featured at







1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I really like how it turned out! I will be pinning so the next time I find something similar, I will know what to do with it. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete