I picked up these two topless end tables at a thrift shop that obviously had glass as original tops. I liked the style of them and they were built solid, and no repairs were needed. All I had to do was add my room style and tops. That meant black and tan colors and wrought iron blend in. I thought of wrapping leather around wood for the tops, but if there are ever any spills, it would stain and cleaning would be a chore. So I decided to do "faux aged leather" from brown craft paper by decoupage. After several coats of clear coat, spills wouldn't be a problem. I also had to use a thin wood such as plywood lauan. The ledge where the original glass was, is just too narrow for the lauan and paper wrapping, so I went with Plexiglas.
First step: Cleaning the tables. Rubbing alcohol, soap & water. Wipe dry.
|Paint color of choice: Flat black.|
Spraying the entire table and not allowing to dry, just as I got to the end of the painting...
I started "streaking" the wet paint with a rough bath towel. (Recycled old towels cut into sections just for shop purposes.)
I'm streaking! It looks blurry like an old TV station, but it's just wet.
|One of the legs.|
|Bottom platform shelf to streak.|
|Different than the first side, but I like it.|
|After the paint dried, I clear coated with lacquer.|
I had a piece of Plexiglas large enough to cut two pieces for the tops of the tables. I measured and cut to size.
After cutting the tops out of Plexiglas, I scuffed them up with rough grit sand paper on both sides.
|Anxious to see the depth and fit... all is good.|
Now to cover the Plexiglas with homemade decoupage solution and a roll of brown craft paper. (Brown paper bags work too.)
I pulled off enough paper to cover each top then tore them up into odd rips.
|Then crumpled them up as tight as I could.|
The only time in my life I want tons of wrinkles. The more the better.
|Glue solution painted on the Plexiglas.|
Dipping the crumpled pieces one by one into a bowl of glue solution and painting them onto the Plexiglas.
Small pieces like this makes it easy to avoid air bubbles. I smoothed each out with my fingers.
I turned over the paper covered side onto a cardboard box smaller than the top but high enough to work on the other side. It's messy, so I used a large plastic garbage bag under the work.
After the paper and glue solution dried thoroughly, I lightly stained the top surface with wood stain.
After the stain dried, I lacquered the top with 4 coats, drying in between each.
|Last coat and getting excited.|
Decorative tack nails added around the edges of the faux leather. (Goes with the sofa and recliners, all studded up.)
|Just as I imagined. I'm satisfied.|
|That is what I was after ... all streaky and old looking.|
|I need taller lamps|
Later, there will be a glass of water and a game controller and a nine year old boy all sitting there ;)
Kind of a "treasure map" look, so I added a signed art piece "treasure box/book" I bought 30 years ago.
|Ready for weekly dust bunnies.|
|Well, now I need to change the old mirror.|
Second end table in place and the mirror became "aged". It's coming together.
|The mirror now compliments the end tables.|
|You can see why I need taller lamps, ey? Coming soon.|
My wrought accents are starting to work into all of the re-done furniture.
Lamps? Yes. We have trees in our woods that up rooted from Hurricane Irene. In the "pine family", they aren't safe for wood burning stoves... so I can use them for other things.
|I cut the trunks with the partial roots on purpose.|
|Peeling off bark and removing earth around the roots took longer than I expected. Some of it was really packed with years of growth. Digging and cutting with knives and chisels worked.|
|All bark and dirt removed and started sanding.|
|It had a bath and is drying out. (I didn't want to bring any insects inside) The rest of the project is on hold for a few days. Then the remainder of the sanding and shaping with rat tail files, etc. will get this where I want it.|
Now I see a wall sculpture for above the mirror and wall sconces ;)