A customer asked if I would just simply reupholster with new cushioning and refinish the wood of this cute chair for her. I was honored with the request and fortunate Kim knew what she wanted while supplying the fabric. It has been with her for a long time; even during her college days. It belongs in her craft room and she has no plans of removing it from her home.
The years of use showed with some dings and nicks here and there. A few of spots of paint too and there was a seam split.
First, I removed all of the upholstery pieces. Then set up to repair the split.
I mixed wood filler, stain and wood glue together into a thick gluey paste...
then applied it into the split.
After squeezing in as much of the filler that I could, I sandwiched the wood together and clamped it.
I wiped off the excess and ooze. Then started to remove more staples and nails from the backrest frame.
With drying and set up time needed for the mixture to cure, I started to remove the fabric from the seat to reupholster it. There was a label, showing the chair was remade and disinfected with a date of 9/12/71. (Faded, but was able to read it.) How cool is that?!
Kim mentioned memory foam, so that is what I bought to use for a new cushion. Recovering the seat went quick and easy.
Here is her pretty fabric.
The next day, the wood filler mix was dry enough to start sanding. I took the chair apart to reach into the curves by hand. I used the palm sander on the flat surfaces.
|The repaired section.|
After sanding, I put the frame back together, gluing the joints.
Here is the repaired area after applying stain.
After the stain dried, I sealed it with polyurethane.
Then replaced the seat in its place.
Now I needed to reupholster the backrest. When removing the fabric, I found three coverings and lots more staples and nails. Everything had to go for a clean slate.
I bought pvc clothesline to make the cord trimming. It works like a charm. It remains in place, curves easy and makes sewing the trimming a breeze.
I had to recover the back first, so I stapled the fabric in place from the inside of the frame.
Then stapled the cord trim onto the front piece. Once I measured the center, I used finishing nails to secure it in place.
And wah-lah! Miss Kim's chair is renewed!
It's the cutest chair! So curvy and the front legs being quite dainty. The semi oval backrest defines the chair. I love it. Hopefully it lasts through her crafting years... or who knows, maybe her daughter will take it to college too!