Combining Art with Household Items | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Combining Art with Household Items

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Combining Art with Household Items

Spring time and cleaning tends to make us change out some of our room accents.  That generally finds me redoing pieces into a new art form.
I painted this egg in 1997 and took it out to find it cracked.  Of course now, it will need to be replaced.  The thought of blowing out eggs and the work already seems exhausting, so I'm searching for easier egg cleaning techniques. With Easter approaching, this task will need to be done right away.  I'll work on that and post prior to the holiday.



So moving on to projects on the back burner, I decided to do a decoupage and stain technique that I admire so much done by other artists.  This vintage metal tray is perfect for it. 

I printed out the designs from Graphics Fairy and decoupaged them onto the cleaned off tray.

After it dried, I used white glue to make raised scroll work around the prints.


Adding white paint over the entire tray, I only lightly white washed over the print areas. 




Then added a light clear coat.

Then over that, a wood stain brushed on the entire surface.


After the stain dried, I applied a dark brown acrylic paint, smudging into the crevices.

Using dry brush technique over the whole tray, antiquing it. 




Now I have a functional kitchen accent:  a magnetic memo board to hang.  

I love how bottles can be recycled into decor. I've seen so many other inspiring posts by others.  Here I have a beverage bottle with some cool embossed features that stand out, if painted.  Because of its origin,  I thought why not make it rustic or distressed.

Lucky to have about 4' of snow, I used a long rod to place the bottle on for easier spray painting. 

Painting the bottle black will help any "see through" if there happens to be any paint chipping.


I painted the entire bottle with a chalky turquoise.


One coat, I needed to add a second.

After the paint dried, I applied a rusty brown paint, dry brush method, here and there. 

Certain to brush the lettering to make it pop. 



Low gloss clear coat applied to prevent chipping. 

Then I wrapped the top with a rusty brown yarn.

Added a silver embellishment.

Another little decor accent finished.

I have a few more items stacked up in the garage that need revamped uses.  I hope that I inspired you to put some of your great ideas into motion. Happy Spring cleaning and creating!

~  Robin


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



25 comments:

  1. ARod@MakinMyAptaHomeMarch 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

    Wow what an awesome job on that tray. Love it great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anj! Thank you! You're such a doll stopping by again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the end result! You've got a lovely blog, and am happy to have found you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Tarana. I'm glad to link up with you as well. I really learned from your posts and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim@ExquisitelyUnremarkableMarch 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM

    Super projects one and all, but I really love that tray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kim :)
    It seems to be quite popular at Hometalk so far. I fussed with the tray quite a bit. I need more practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tray is pretty darn amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that bottle! So cool. Pinning it so I can hopefully try it later on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super easy! I hope you post yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. All of it! Like you, I thrift A LOT and also create art - some of it usable art and others... well, more funkified. I have a large piece I am working on and your techniques here are definitely going to help! EXCITED!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have me excited too! I can't wait to see what you did! Please do share it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marie@The Interior FrugalistaMarch 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM

    Robin, your decoupaged tray is stunning - I love the process you used and especially how you used white glue for the scroll work! So glad you linked up at the DIY Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Marie! I'm so glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both the tray and bottle are beautiful! I definitely could see both of those in my house;) Thanks for linking up to Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. You're being featured for having the most clicks this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So amazing! I need to try painting a glass bottle this spring when the weather warms up.

    Thanks for sharing at Fabulously Frugal Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you Katie, one of my all time favorites ---> see in my very limited Blog list ---> I adore you, and to have this honor on Thursday STYLE posted here is so humbling. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Barbara! I'm so glad you stopped by. It was a pleasure to share with the link up. I enjoyed all of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, such beautiful work! Thanks for sharing at Do Tell Tuesday, and I hope you have a chance to link up again this week! http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/03/do-tell-tuesday-16-with-features-co-host.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, such beautiful creations! Thanks for sharing at Do Tell Tuesday, and I hope you have a chance to link up again this week! http://www.vintagezest.com/2014/03/do-tell-tuesday-16-with-features-co-host.html

    Diane @ Vintage Zest

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg! is that a real snake i see???

    ReplyDelete
  21. two great upcycles!! Love the bottle, such an awesome color!

    ReplyDelete