Outdated Chest of Drawers Updated Masculine | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Outdated Chest of Drawers Updated Masculine

Monday, April 20, 2015

Outdated Chest of Drawers Updated Masculine


Oh boy!
Old furniture and a growing boy. I've had my work cut out for me. 

While updating our son's bedroom from little boy to young man, we chose to keep his furniture. In doing so, painting was a must. 


To make it masculine, I decided to do a two tone finish. Keeping the original wood top and painting the rest with Country Chic Paint in Liquorice.


After a light sanding of the chest of drawers, I applied two coats of this yummy Liquorice shade. It's perfect for the masculine look of the room. 


Once the paint dried, I distressed the high areas and rubbed in clear wax.


Then I attached the drawer pulls I found at Habitat for Humanity Store.


I love the aged look of the finish.
Looking old but new... the difference in the room is knocking it out of the ball park.


The chest went from outdated to exactly what we are looking for... young man.


Our son can use this throughout his teen years


It has a classic look.





Now I'm off to paint the matching dresser and mirror to do the same.

The rest of the room currently has piles of organizing and redoing going on so you're not getting the whole picture, so to speak ;)





23 comments:

  1. Keep em coming. I love the way you are turning this little man's room into a young man's domain. Great job. Robin. sk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That doesn't look at all the same! You worked a miracle on that piece :) Thanks for sharing this post at Together on Tuesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great Robin - perfect for a boys room! I have a jar of Licorice waiting for me in the shop and I have the perfect project to use it on. Seeing your dresser motivated me to take that jar down from the shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow robin it really doesn't look like the same dresser, i can't wait to see all you have done he must be freaking lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! It is perfect for a boy. I am always amazed at what paint can do. such a transforamtion

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a nice compliment coming from you! Thank you, SK, as I admire all of your works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was worried that it wouldn't work out and so glad it did. Thank you for hosting and coming by, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this shade, Marie. It's like charcoal in color. I can't believe how perfect it is going into this room.
    Now I can't wait to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol! He is really excited!
    I'm getting closer to finishing and so glad the entire space is different and more functional and appealing. Hopefully it stays that way. (clutter, etc.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree... the power of paint is can make a world of difference.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it and the new handles you chose look great with the new masculine look. I think you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Dropping by from City of Creative Dreams linky party (#34) I like the new colour! It looks classier and definitely more macho. What does your son think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another awesome feature is that the handles are so much easier to use compared to the previous.
    Thank you, Gillian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. He absolutely loves it, Hanniz! He runs right to his room each day after school to see what is updated. It's getting closer to finished and does look more appropriate for him.
    Thank you so much for stopping in to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How handsome! You did a marvelous job!

    Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty - we hope to see you again next week. :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a great job on this. The color is perfect and I love the distressing. So nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always love black furniture with a wood top. You did a lovely job making this piece beautiful. And I LOVE your display on top for a boy's room. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Your Turn to Shine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The change really made a difference. We all love it in the room and I'm glad I won't need to change it again while he continues to mature. I'm so happy you like it! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, thanks so much for hosting and the very nice compliment, Jamie! I think keeping the furniture classic makes it blend in the room and while being timeless. Like you, I admire the wood tone with paint, especially the black shades. The contrast is attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this piece Robin! The black is perfection and I love the way you left the top with the wood grain. The styling is really beautiful as are your paint skills. Thanks so much for linking this up to the Something to Talk About Link Party. Pinned! Hugs, Coco

    ReplyDelete