Recycled Denim Jean Bag | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : Recycled Denim Jean Bag

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Recycled Denim Jean Bag


It's not hoarding if you keep something you don't use any more and repurpose it for better use.

Cleaning out clothing gets a second look.
I adore jean bags when I see them and swore I'd make one some day.
This little skirt is never going to be worn by me again, so it was the perfect opportunity to turn it into a bag.


To make a bottom, I snagged this big suede coat from my fabric scrap bag ... well, what's left of the coat! You may remember I used the back of it to upholster "The Gentleman Chair".


Not much is needed to sew a bottom on the skirt, so I cut off one arm and both semi belts from the cuffs. Super awesome that I used them with very little sewing! Ready made button holes!


I cut off just enough from the sleeve to make a wide bottom.


After pinning the suede onto the inside it was sewn on from the outside.


I sewed along the skirts original stitching lines.


Then after choosing a couple of buttons from my stash, I sewed the cuff belts on the skirt to go over the pockets.


And sewed on the buttons. This helps keep the contents of the pockets secured ... such as a cell phone.


Then I added a leather belt through the loops.


And cinched the waist for closing the bag. 


 The belt became an over the shoulder handle.




To open the bag, a simple pull of the waist to the extent of the belt lets things drop in easily.


I finally have a denim bag. And it's completely recycled!



Do you have any novelty bags like this?
This is my first!







9 comments:

  1. I think what makes this bag so unique is the suede trimmings, lining and the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute...I love unique bags and the suede is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scraps are fun!. I'm so glad you like the embellishments. Thank you, Agy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right; the suede makes this bag. Thank you, Kim!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable and so unique! I don't have any bags like this but I do have plenty of clothes in the donate pile I could probably make 10! So cute, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute. I could rock this with a pair of denim sandals this summer. Thanks for sharing on Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great project, such a creative recycling project. Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, you are blowing my mind with your genius! This is so awesome and something I would never have thought of. As always I really appreciate how easy your step by step tutorials are to follow. Thanks so much for linking this up to our Something to Talk About Link Party. Your creativity is always exciting! Hugs, CoCo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so kind! Thanks so much for hosting and taking the time to visit! You're the best!!! ox

    ReplyDelete